Our client requires a Chartered Civil Engineer to work within their Water Group to help provide solutions to coastal and river management issues and to enhance the environment. Their broad knowledge and experience enables them to find practical solutions for the most complex of problems, for example flood risk management against the backdrop of climate change and coastal erosion.
They provide the full breadth of skills from: asset assessment, business case development, funding applications, detailed design, implementation support and asset management towards long-term performance. They are particularly strong in strategic studies, developing practical tools for clients to manage their assets and in coastal management / engineering.
You will work within a growing team where you will be expected provide technical expertise to a variety of flood risk management projects, typically:
- managing individual commissions;
- mentor more junior staff;
- assist the team leader to bid and win projects;
- being involved directly with clients;
- promoting positive working relationships and partnerships.
In addition to providing the core technical and management skills on an agreed portfolio of projects, you will also:
- assist the Water Director of Advice Group, the Associate Director and the Team Leaders to grow the team and grow the workload;
- plan your own time and that of your immediate team to assist your team leader and project managers in determining the resource requirements for your portfolio of work;
- take an active role in staff development and undertake a mentoring role for junior technical staff;
- undertake roles including: project manager, project reviewer, design engineer (larger projects) and technical lead as required;
- be responsible for preparation of small to medium scale bids and for contributing to the technical and commercial aspects for larger bids.
Your technical and management role will include, but not be limited to:
- appraising the feasibility of alternative solutions and preparing business cases to support your conclusions;
- designing solutions to reduce flood risk in the fluvial and coastal environment/reviewing and approving solutions by others;
- producing assessments, studies and reports;
- producing specification and other contract documents;
- managing 3rd parties (sub-consultants, contractors, stakeholders);
- client management including securing follow-on work;
- specifying and commissioning specialist surveys and investigations;
- supervision of construction activities.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to solve problems practically yet creatively.
- Strong technical skills, using your expertise to develop solutions and to keep abreast of wider industry developments.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to write and present concise, but effective business cases.
- Highly organised and able to plan your own time and that your immediate team.
- Engaging with clients with the ability to build a successful working relationships.
- Contract management, including effective change control, to maximise the commercial position.
- Be adaptable to change and willing to work internationally if requested.
- Be a team player, support your colleagues and actively mentor junior staff.
Candidate qualifications and experience - Essential:
- Chartered Civil Engineer.
- Evidence of successful delivery of a portfolio of schemes exceeding £5m total value .
- Experience of working in design teams.
- Undertaking role of technical review.
- Familiarity with Health and Safety legislation, CDM regulations and an awareness of environmental and other approval processes is required.
Candidate qualifications and experience - Desirable:
- Familiarity with Environment Agency processes would be an advantage.
- Experience of preparing technical project reports and funding proposals.
- Experience of delivering Environment Agency or Natural Resources Wales flood risk management schemes.
- Experience of leading design teams.
- External funding experience.